Tuesday, August 28, 2012

How am I 4 pounds lighter than last year?

Today, I weigh 171 pounds.

Last year, on the exact same day, I weighed 175.  And probably felt pretty good about it.  But, since my 3rd half marathon in April, I've been at or under 173. 

I have lots of pairs of pants that are 36 waist.  But, recently have bought some 35 waist pants at places like Banana Republic and Gap and I'm considering going to a 34 waist.  I don't want my pants to look out of place... or ill-fitting.  But I don't want them too big, either.

How am I doing it?

Cutting out extra sweets. 

NOTE:  NOT all sweets.  But, I used to eat something sweet all the time.  At lunch, I'd eat my meal and some cookies.  For a mid-afternoon break, I'd have something chocolate, like M&Ms.  At night, I'd have more cookies or some other kind of treat.  On at least a couple mornings of the week, my coffee would come with a donut. 

Sugar turns to fat if not used.  Period.

So, sure, I was running.  But, I was also consuming way more sugar than my body could burn.

Now, I may have something sweet once a day.  I pass on extra sweets and only have a donut with coffee a couple times a month. 

Exercise helped me get to around 175-176.  But cutting out the sweets really tipped the scale (pun?) ... And, I can do more pushups... 22 or more without stopping ...on my way to 30, I hope.  And I very RARELY have knee pain.  My knees used to hurt, esp. after running...but I know it is because I was carrying extra weight. 

Now, I'm moving toward "right-sized" and it feels great.  I may never get into 32 waist pants.  And don't need to.  34 is fine.  Keeping the fat around my waist at a minimum and losing my moobs has done wonders for my confidence.  Not to mention that as I approach 40, I want to be on top of my weight ... to protect my heart and ensure I can do all the things I want with my child.

4 pounds lighter than last year.  4 pounds may not seem like much.  But it means a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment