Monday, June 25, 2012

Eat Shit, Feel Like Shit

So, I inadvertently tried an experiment last week.  Here's how it went:

I tried eating crackers for lunch everyday.  And a snack of some sort (cookies, star crunch, etc.) Then a protein bar for lunch.  And usually a normal dinner (I ate out 4 times last week - unusual, but true).

I felt horrible.  I was on the toilet a lot ... and not pleasantly.

And I was reminded:  This is how I used to feel.  All the time.  I used to eat little or no breakfast, have peanut butter crackers for lunch with a coke, have a candy bar for a 3 PM snack, and some kind of frozen pizza or something for dinner.

I felt edgy, lethargic, gross.

Even though I was thin, I wasn't healthy. 

Then, after 30, I would sometimes go weeks or months on a "money-saving" plan of eating crackers or whatever for lunch and a lighter dinner.  And I gained weight.  More than I needed to.  And, I still felt bad. Worse, even. 

Why?  I ate horrible foods... I ate the "snack" lunch a couple days and then gave in and went to the KFC buffet.  Or, I'd eat cookies ALL day and get a sugar high and feel terrible. 

Then, a couple years ago, I started training for a half marathon.  The first year, I was slowish and didn't lose that much weight.

Now, I eat a regular lunch -- a lot of times, it's a subway sandwich and a diet coke.  Sometimes, it's a cheeseburger and a diet coke. 

I've cut out extra desserts and may go days without one.  I eat normal dinners.  With a meat of some sort, vegetables, and some fruit.

I feel GREAT.  I feel like I'm eating MORE and I weigh less.  My weight is 2 pounds from an "ideal" weight for my height. 

I don't eat shit, so I don't feel like shit.  My bowel movements are regular.  I feel good.

But last week, eating crackers and junk, I felt horrible.  I'm still getting better even after a weekend of normal eating.  Interestingly, I ate normally all weekend (and ate more food) and I weigh less today than I did any day last week.



No comments:

Post a Comment