Tuesday, December 13, 2011

How to Fight Holiday Weight Gain

So, the time from Thanksgiving through New Year's is a time for parties, sweets, eating, and YES, gaining pounds.

For about 5 years, I started every January 2nd at 185 pounds. Then, for 3 years after that, I started at 181 pounds. On January 2nd, 2011 I weighed 181 pounds.

By April 30th, I was down to 172. I've since maintained a weight between 173-175.

My goal is to start this January 2nd at 175. This would be the lowest I've weighed on January 2nd since 2002. I can't believe it has been 10 years since I've weighed only 175 at the start of a year.

So, here's my strategy:

1) Keep running. I'm a runner -- I've run some 5ks and a couple of half marathons. I'll run another half marathon in 2012. But, as December sets in and the weather turns cold, there are less days when it feels good to run. That said, I still plan to run at least 3 days a week for at least three miles. I know that burning those calories by running will help me keep off extra weight I may otherwise pick up through Holiday eating.

2) Also, walk. I have a habit of walking to a downtown library and back everyday when I'm working. It's a nice break to get me out of the office and it is a 2 mile round trip. If you're not already walking, find at least 15 minutes to get out and walk -- or, walk inside at your office. Just 15 minutes a day 5 days a week can help you burn off extra calories and give you more energy.

3) Add weight-lifting. Since I won't be getting outside as much to run, I'm doing some light circuit training to keep the pounds off. I do 2 sets of some very simple weight-lifting and the whole thing takes about 20 minutes. On a night when I'm going to run, I do just one set. If you're not lifting, just start with a reasonable weight and do four to five different exercises to work out different muscles. Weight lifting helps boost your metabolism for a couple hours after you've finished as your muscles work to repair themselves -- this will help you burn calories and has the added benefit of adding some nice tone to your body. Try 2-3 days a week with a day of rest in between.

4) Take some b12 -- not only will b12 help boost your immunity which is nice because it's colder and because you're likely to be around more people (and more germs) -- but, it boosts metabolism and energy. It should help you burn a few extra calories (like at least some of the calories in a small glass of egg nog).

5) Always move. On the elevator, at your desk, anywhere -- do small stretches or shake your hands or walk in place. Take the time to make yourself move. It may not burn much, but it will keep your metabolism up and it can give you some added energy.

These 5 tips are my strategy for making it to 175 or less by January 2, 2012.

You can try these, too and see if they help you fight the Holiday weight gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment