Monday, July 9, 2012

How to lose weight on vacation...

So, it is summer.  Vacations abound.  Down time becomes more available.  And that means travel.  Adventure.  Fun.  And FOOD!  So, of course, you gain weight on vacation, right?  You indulge, add a few pounds, and then worry about it later, right?

OR, you could LOSE weight on vacation.

In fairness, I just took a vacation.  A full week with my family.  And I LOST weight while doing so.  Here's the run down.  The morning I left for vacation, I weighed 174.  The day after vacation (back home), I weighed 173.5.  So yeah, not a big weight loss.  But, some.  AND, no weight gain.  Because while it may seem easy, sometimes that extra pound or three you picked up on the beach can stick around for a week, a month, or more.

So, how do you lose weight (or at least maintain) while on vacation?

Here are some tips:

1) Bring your own snacks.  This will also save you money.  We made brownies with pumpkin, a slight modification of this idea from Snack Girl.  They were delicious.  We knew we would indulge, and chocolate is wonderful, right?  So, whip out a healthier brownie and enjoy.  Our 6-year-old loved them.  We didn't tell her they were made from pumpkin.  I also added a teaspoon of vanilla for a bit of extra wonderful flavor, by the way.  If you bring your own snacks, you can control the calorie content.  And, you can add nutrition.  Plus, you won't be tempted to stop and get snacks when you stop for gas.  These were great and helped us stay happy. 

2) Never stop moving.  Ok, Ok.  It IS vacation.  So of course, you want to relax.  But also, MOVE.  I'm normally a runner, but I didn't run on vacation.  I did SWIM, though.  Yes, yes.  I played in the ocean.  Sure, I watched my child have fun.  But, I also swam.  I didn't just sit by the pool and drink beer (easy calories and an easy way to pack on pounds).  I did make myself swim just a few laps at the pool before we left each night.  And, while I certainly enjoyed floating a bit and just sitting in the sun, I also swam in the ocean.  Also, one of our favorite family sports is outlet shopping.  So, we walked. All over.  Walking was nice ... together as a family, talking, laughing, and sharing.  Plus, we burned calories.  So, don't miss a chance to try a new exercise on vacation. 

3) Avoid Alcohol.  Yes, I know.  It's vacation.  But, I watched in amazement as people around me drank beer after beer on the beach followed by evening cocktails at the pool.  Talk about calories.  Wow.  I don't typically drink beer, but I do enjoy a nice bourbon drink from time-to-time.  But, this trip:  NO alcohol.  I indulged in other ways -- with ice cream, for example.  But, not consuming any alcohol meant I wasn't getting a ton of empty calories that would add pounds. 

So, there you go.  Three tips that are reasonably easy ways to help you stay fit (or possibly even lose weight) on vacation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment